2011 Bayer Young Environmental Envoy


2011 Bayer Young Environmental Envoy (by Melissa-2010)

I tried to make an environmental project in my second semester. My project was simple. It was about how to prevent environment mutilation in family scale. In my project I tried to blew up an idea that mother is the solution of this mutilation. Mother is the main educator in family. Children learn with and from their mother. What mother do, children will do too. What mother say, children will say the same. On this current situation, people always concentrate on children as the main solution of every problem. That, they always educate children first and ignore the mother’s influence in the process of education.

Thus, I tried to say, in my project, that mother always take part in educating children. So if we want to prevent environment mutilation by only educate the children, it will not work well. Because when you say, “Throw garbage on the garbage can” to the children while mother say, “You can throw garbage on everywhere you want”, children will confuse and in the end they will choose what their mother say. Then, in my project, I proposed a new way of education, that was educating the mother first by making compose from household waste.

I sent my project to Bayer environmental project titled ‘Young Environment Envoy 2011’ the winner will be sent to Germany as environment envoy from Indonesia to have an environment discusion. I sent my project in a-not-really-good-way. I have to run there run here to get all document needed completed. And I sent the completed document a day before the deadline. After I sent, I tried to forget. But then, three months later someone called me, she was Bayer employee, and she said that I was accepted as the one of finalist of Bayer ‘Young Environment Envoy 2011’. I was shocked but happy. She said that I have to go to Jakarta three days after the call to present my project in the front of the judges.

The days between my departure to Jakarta and the call became so hectic. I prepared everything for my presentation, ran around to get what I need, and FYI: that was my first flight! And actuatlly this is the first time I did something so scientific (presentation, making project, etc). I never do this before and I felt afraid.
I spent a night in Jakarta, didn’t have a time to look around this town, my duty was just come, present the project, and then go home. But I felt so exited. In Jakarta I met friends that mostly are older than me, maked me more nervous. Then I presented my presentation in the front of the judges. I had to deliver my presentation in english, so I delivered my presentation in english. I was trying to smile, and showed my best. The judges made questions from my presentation, I answered my best. Then yeah it was over!


On my way back to Yogyakarta, I didn’t really feel good. I got headache, and then I got fever for three days. Three days before the final semester of that period. Because of that, my final exam result was not really good, that was under my expectation. I disapointed of course, and my project also didn’t make it, made my feeling worse. But then, I still feel lucky to have an experience like that. I learnt a lot, I made a lot of connection and relationship, I made lot of friends. And remembering what I’d done for achieveing my goal, I want to feel the same excitement like that again. I promised to myself that someday I’ll make it. J



--melubii

No comments:

Post a Comment